Latina Body Image in America
In “Blogueras: Latina Body Image,” by Maria Hinojosa, Patricia Valoy and Kassandra Peña, three Latina women discuss body image and Latina culture. I think this is a good example of how all Latina/o countries and cultures are all different. When Patricia valoy started talking about body hair, all I could think of was how body hair was never something that I noticed or thought of removing until I became immersed in American culture. This is a change from my experiences in the Dominican Republic, where body hair is not really a subject of embarrassment. Because of this there is less pressure put on women for body hair, a Dominican woman could choose to remove their hair or not, and whatever she chooses won’t really be an issue. And in the case of the dissuasion with Kassandra Peña, although they are many expectations of the ideal weight and body type for women in the Dominican Republic, I think it gets worse in America. Latina women are fetishized in America, wherein the media always presents the Latinas as this fiery, sexy, perfect creature. But this is only when they are hairless, white passing, and slim.



Comments
Post a Comment